A periodic oral exam refers to an oral evaluation performed by your dentist each time you visit the office. During this time, your dentist will check if anything has changed with your oral health since your last regular visit. During dental examinations, your dentist will perform visual inspections, as well as potentially ask you to get some additional tests done if they suspect any issues. McClane Dentistry has experienced dentists and advanced equipment that will take the best care of your oral health in Stuart, FL.
Advantages of periodic oral exams
- Oral periodic exams enable your dental hygienist to check for any dental problems you might have.
- Your dentist will be able to evaluate, clean, and inspect your teeth for any sign of gum disease, tooth decay, cavities.
- Periodic oral exams also help your dentist evaluate any chances of you developing other oral health problems.
- Your dentist or your oral hygienist will provide you with helpful instructions on how to improve your oral health involving your dental care at home. Concurrently, this includes your overall diet and tooth-friendly activities.
- It prevents the spread of infections and reduces the chances of tooth loss.
Types of dental exams
Comprehensive exams. They are completed at your initial checkup and are occasionally repeated every several years. The procedure for comprehensive dental exams include:
- Full mouth series of X rays
- Oral cancer screening
- Gum disease evaluation
- TMJ exam
- Evaluation of gum disease
- Review of any underlying health problems
- A thorough assessment of each of your teeth
The main reason for a comprehensive periodic exam is to establish a baseline reading of your entire mouth. Secondly, a periodic oral exam pinpoints any changes in your health.
- Regular dental exams. They are also known as recall. Regular dental examinations are types of regulations your dentist completes during a routine checkup. During regular dental exams, your dentists check for any problems in your mouth that might have developed since your last checkup.
- Limited exam. This type of exam is specifically for problems related to your teeth. These problems include severe toothache, sudden tooth loss, and broken teeth. With the help of an X-ray, your dentist will thoroughly evaluate that specific area of your mouth.
Processes involved in periodic oral exams
- Regular teeth cleaning. During teeth cleaning, your dentist in Stuart, FL will perform the following:
- Scrapping off the tartar from below the gum line and above using a dental scaler
- Use an ultrasonic vibrating device to shake all the loose plaque and tartar. After that, you will rinse with flowing water
- Polishing your teeth using a lightly abrasive paste and wrap with a flossing
- Your dentist will examine your teeth, look for gum disease, tooth decay, and oral cancer, and ask about any underlying medical conditions. Your dentist will also examine your neck, lymph glands, palate, and soft mouth tissues for any marks of oral cancer.
- Your dental hygienist will also discuss certain lifestyle factors and how they affect dental health.
- Taking x-rays to identify places that are not visible.
Who is eligible for periodic exams?
No matter how healthy or unhealthy their oral condition is, every individual should go for periodic oral examinations at least twice a year.
Getting periodic exams in Stuart, FL
Always consider going for regular dental examinations to help uphold and protect your oral health and general well-being. It is essential to visit your dental hygienist so that they can help you maintain a healthy mouth and the usefulness of your teeth. For bookings or inquiry visit McClane Dentistry.
We are conveniently located in the heart of Stuart, Florida. You can call us at (772) 287-0788 to book an appointment